Growth

>> 09 September 2010

I have ALWAYS loved this picture.  I took it in Bosnia, and it just makes me smile.  Granted, this isn't the orginal; the original was picture-like, and the point-and-shoot camera focused on grass rather than flower, but I LIKE IT.  So I GIMP-ified it.
Anyway, I'm posting it BECAUSE it makes me smile.

And that's the kind of mood I'm in.  Smily.  They changed my meds, you see.  No, kidding, I'm not crazy.  Though they did change my meds.  What?

Seriously, this post is kind of a follow on to the sermon I preached a few weeks ago.  I talked about my past, and how hard it was for me to find a calling, and you know?  I still don't totally know where I'm going.  Maybe I never will.  Maybe each place I wind up will be the place I'm meant to be at that moment in time, and then I'll move on.  I'll "itinerate," if you will, for you Methodists out there.

But what I can say, 100% for sure, is that coming to the Boston University School of Theology is absolutely, positively the best decision I've ever made.  (If you follow me on Twitter or Facebook, you saw that update earlier tonight).  I haven't loved every class, or every professor, but I DO want to be there every day (usually...) and I DO want to really engage, mentally, with what I'm learning.  I'm developing whole new theologies and philosophies for myself, and there is NOTHING better.  The people, the conversations, the learning...  They're leading me somewhere, and it IS right.

For those of you in discernment, I don't profess to have all the answers.  I'll be doing my Field Ed in a United Methodist Church this year, and I don't even know that I definitely want to wind up in parish ministry, so clearly I'm still struggling myself, but I received an important message this week.  And you know, this is a message I've "heard" before, but I've never "received" it.  The journey is as important - if not more so - as the destination.  For once, I'm not looking to the end, I'm looking to the present, and I'm LIVING in the present, and loving these people and these lessons, and really growing from it all.

0 comments:

United Methodist News Service Headlines

Global Ministries Mission News and Features

UMCOR News

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP