The Personal "IT"

>> 06 February 2010

A big thing at school - and I suppose in the broader religious community, as well - is inclusive language. I don't consider myself prejudiced in any form (RE race, age, sex, sexuality, handicaps, whatever), but I have some issues with the over PC-ness of "inclusive language."

1. Jesus had a penis. Get over it.
2. Not all black people are African-Americans. It's okay for me to say "white," so I'm gonna say "black," too. Although usually, I'm not going to distinguish skin color at all.
3. The Bible was written in sexist times. By translating it into non-sexist language, you are changing its history. Interpret it however you like, but stop changing the Book.
4. He IS my Lord. He IS superior to me. I will not make myself equal to God.
5. The prayer is "Our Father," not "Our Mother." I could get behind "Our Creator," if you wanted to go that route, but using "mother" and other feminine language is being exclusive against men, unless you genuinely do alternate between the two.

I proposed on my Twitter feed the other day that we bring back the personal "IT." All caps because I am, of course, referring to God* in this case. Hundreds of years ago, "it" was a personal pronoun... It gradually devolved. Since we're so determined that God isn't male, and I refuse to make Him (IT?) female, we need a gender neutral.

IT is my shepherd. I shall not want.

*Note that no disrespect is meant to God. Rather, this is a rant about the inadequacy of human language and the over-zealousness of Political Correctness.

0 comments:

United Methodist News Service Headlines

Global Ministries Mission News and Features

UMCOR News

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP