Women in Ministry

>> 01 January 2000

So in my class on female leadership in church organizations, we discussed the Roman Catholic WomenPriests movement.
( http://www.romancatholicwomenpriests.org/ )

These women were technically ordained by a Roman Catholic bishop, but as this goes against Canon Law, they've been excommunicated. These women "reject" their excommunication, and view themselves as practicing Roman Catholic priests (some even claiming the title of bishop, now), acting within the traditional church hierarchy (though my understanding is they've also not taken celibacy vows or vows of obedience... feel free to correct me if you know more).

Now, being as I'm from a fairly liberal (at least in this regard), mainstream Protestant church, and am attending seminary, it's obvious what my views are on female ordination. However, I also have a fair amount of respect for the Catholic Church, and don't really see how these women can respectfully consider themselves ordained Roman Catholics, with Canon Law as it currently stands.

We listened, today, to a reaction from a "traditional" Catholic (a female) who expressed exactly the opinion that the "WomenPriests" are no longer Catholics, and that if they don't like Catholic policy, they should leave the church. I'm going to reserve judgment on that statement (as I do believe change happens from within), but this woman took her opinions a step further, in a direction that surprised me. She stated that you cannot be a "good" Catholic and also hope that women will some day be ordained, as God/Jesus clearly intended this to only be a man's role.

I'm curious to hear reactions to this, especially from my Catholic friends and/or those affiliated with Protestant faiths that don't currently ordain women. Do you believe that women ever should be granted ordination? If so, how best can they work for it? If not, does "hoping" for this make them "bad" in the eyes of the Church? If you are someone from a Protestant faith that ordains women, how do you feel about this movement? Do you feel it's the best way to pursue ordination for women?

I'm not here to pass judgment; instead, I'm curious as to the range of opinions. I've certainly got history with and respect for Roman Catholicism and conservative Protestantism. If you're not comfortable responding to this note for all to see, feel free to send me a e-mail - please :)

0 comments:

United Methodist News Service Headlines

Global Ministries Mission News and Features

UMCOR News

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP